Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I think I've found my favourite image in the Polaroid Book. There's so many pictures in the book it's easy to completely miss some. The photo is by Stephan Erfurt and its called New York Restaurants. It depicts the inside of a New York restaurant whilst looking out of the window at the same time. There is a light from outside beaming through the window plunging everything inside into darkness. All the objects become hidden in the shadows and the people become silhouettes. The air of mystery surrounding the photo combined with the calmness of it all is something that I just love about this picture. Being black and white means it doesn't become over complicated with colours and the fact that everything is in the dark means it takes away all the tiny details of the objects out, there's no fuss and everything becomes simplified down to just their black and white tones. It reminded a lot of those moody black and white photos of 1950's Paris you find in a lot of poster shops.

I've tried looking on the internet for the image but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I can hardly find any information on the artist himself which is annoying. I think he's just not as well recognised or well established as some of the other artists in the book.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home